It’s almost Cinco de Mayo and I have a killer, top secret recipe for you today.
Well, top secret until now.
I had the absolute pleasure of cooking with my buddy and brilliant coach, Jeannine Yoder, for this week’s video.
Jeannine swiped an addictive tortilla soup recipe from her favorite restaurant in California when she was in 7th grade, added her own twist, and has been winning tortilla soup cook-offs ever since…
Yes, those exist.
Best part is that it’s FULL of vegetables, so you barely feel guilty for piling on 5 pounds of tortilla chip and monterey jack cheese “garnish”.
Check out today’s video where we dish this secret, winning recipe — shhhh, don’t tell!
If you’re a huge baby when it comes to spicy food (like me), don’t worry – Jeannine shares the trick for controlling (or eliminating) the spiciness in this video.
Oh, and we may or may not be wearing costumes in this video. There’s only one way to find out.
Recipe: Jey’s Tortilla Soup
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 quarts chicken broth
1 red onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 boiling potato, diced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 bay leaf
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo, pureed
1 teaspoon pickled jalapeno pepper, chile seeded chopped
1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
1/8 teaspoon cumin
salt, to taste
white pepper, to taste
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 lime, juice
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
8 corn tortillas (cut into thin strips)
1/2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
8 slices Avocados
fresh cilantro leaves
- Poach chicken breast in simmering chicken broth until done through, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle and shred.
- Combine chicken broth, chicken, red onion, carrots, potato, tomato paste, bay leaf, garlic, chipotle and jalapeno chilies, oregano, cumin and salt and pepper in large saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Correct seasoning, if necessary.
- Add zucchini, squash, pepper, and lime juice.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add cilantro and mint.
- Stir, then remove from heat.
- To assemble, fry tortilla strips in hot oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Ladle soup into each bowl.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and tortilla strips.
- Garnish each bowl with avocado slice and sprig of cilantro. Enjoy!
Have you ever begged a restaurant for the recipe for your favorite dish? What was it?