Make Ahead Breakfast: Chia Steel Cut Oat Jars
These Chia Steel Cut Oat Jars are perfect when you’re in a rush, on-the-go, or just don’t want the temptation of reaching for a bowl of sugary cereal.
Watch my video below to learn how to make them, or scroll down to recipe the full recipe.
1 cup dry steel cut / Irish oats
4 cups water
Pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp grass fed butter, optional
1/3 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup goji berries, optional
Any toppings of your choice (I like walnuts, raisins, cinnamon, and yogurt)
1. In a large pot, bring oats, water, and salt to a boil.
2. Add the butter and stir occasionally for 5 minutes until the oats begin to thicken.
3. Add the chia seeds, reduce the heat to medium, and stir for another 5 minutes until the mixture is thick.
4. Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and go about your day. When you check back in an hour the oats should be tender with a chewy texture.
5. Stir in goji berries (optional), and divide into mason jars or any airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to a week.
6. When you’re ready to eat, heat up in a pan with a splash of almond milk or water and your favorite toppings. I like having them with walnuts, raisins, cinnamon, and a few spoonfuls of yogurt. Enjoy!
Like steel cut oats? Why don’t you try my Morning Glory Overnight Oats next! Click here for the recipe.