On Monday I visited Better Connecticut on Channel 3 to teach one of my favorite dishes for a crazy week: Sesame-Quinoa Fried Rice.
My Go Feed Yourself’ers love this dish because:
- All the ingredients (quinoa + veggies) can be made in “Big-Ass Batches”, or BAB’s, at the beginning of the week and assembled in 5 minutes (as long as your stove doesn’t take 10 minutes to heat up like it did at the studio – yikes!)
- It’s absolutely delicious.
Check below for recipe and for a clip of the segment:
Recipe: Quinoa “Fried Rice” with Broccoli, Carrots, + Sesame
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp grated ginger
1 cup broccoli florets
1 carrot, sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 tbsp tamari
gomasio (I used this Black + Tan Gomasio in the clip)
- Add frozen peas to colander and run under warm water to defrost.
- Heat in 1 tbsp of oil in skillet and stir-fry shallots and ginger for 1 minute.
- Add carrots and broccoli and stir-fry until brightly colored and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove veggies from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add remaining tbsp of oil to the pan, crack and whisk eggs into a small bowl and add to pan to scramble the eggs. Break up cooked eggs with a fork into small pieces.
- Add back the veggies along with the defrosted peas and cooked quinoa into the pan with the eggs.
- Add tamari to the pan, stir, and serve.
- Top with gomasio or toasted sesame seeds or nuts like cashews or peanuts if you’d like. Enjoy!