I decided to do something crazy this holiday season: I gave up sugar for the whole month of December.
Not just like, “sugar”, but everything that has sugar in it: fruit, grains, booze.
I know, I’m nuts.
But you know what? I feel 10x better. No fogginess, no sugar crashes, and no “omg why I did I eat that?!” regrets.
I’ll share more soon about why I did this and what I’ve been eating, but today I wanted to show you this amazing treat that has been completely handling my crazy chocolate cravings while I’ve been sugar-free:
Recipe: Paleo Chocolate Peppermint Cups
4 oz of unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup coconut butter
1/2 tsp of peppermint extract (other options: vanilla or orange extract)
Sea salt, optional
Medium saucepan fitted with a double-boiler or a heat-proof mixing bowl
- Bring a few inches of water to a boil and place a double-boiler or heat-proof mixing bowl over the water.
- Add 4 oz of unsweetened chocolate to the double-boiler and stir until almost completely melted.
- Add 1/4 cup of coconut butter, stir until melted into the chocolate.
- Take off heat, stir in 1/2 tsp peppermint extract.
- Spoon the melted chocolate mixture into muffin cups, transfer to the refrigerator to cool — about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, if you’d like, and eat!
- If you don’t care about cutting out sugar, replace unsweetened chocolate with a dark / bittersweet or semisweet chocolate bar
- Leave the peppermint extract out — the chocolate and coconut is great alone!
- Replace peppermint extract with vanilla or orange extract
Do you have any hacks for satisfying your sweet tooth without indulging in the naughty stuff? Tell me your idea in the comments below!
P.S. Love chocolate cups? Try my recipe for nut butter cups here.